Board member CyAN / Attorney at Law
– Status: Attorney at Law & Privacy Professional; Owner and managing director of FABIAN PRIVACY LEGAL GmbH based in Basel, Switzerland
– Member since: October 2015
– Languages: German, English, Italian, French
– Geographic coverage: International, based in Basel, Switzerland
– My clients are: Large and medium companies of all sectors operating in Switzerland and internationally
– What I do: I assist companies in ensuring privacy compliance in a structured and straightforward risk-based approach by providing sustainable solutions relating to data privacy laws, strategic governance, risk management, legal compliance and program implementation as well as legal expert advice in a broad-range of privacy-related matters. In addition, I assume the responsibilities as external Data Protection Officer.
– How it helps: Companies with an established privacy governance do effectively reduce risks and are better prepared to respond to privacy related incidents and breaches or when legal disputes arise. At the same time, privacy governance and management practices enable companies to demonstrate accountability and enhance trust among stakeholders.
– My background: I have over 22 years professional expertise, commercial legal, leadership and management experience of global projects and teams in the pharmaceutical industry, law firm, Swiss courts and the faculty of law of the University of Basel. From 1997 until 2007 I held various positions in Legal at Novartis. In 2007 I was appointed Global Head Data Privacy for the Novartis Group. In this position I was responsible for setting the Group’s strategic direction regarding privacy and data protection and for driving the implementation and oversight to the group wide privacy compliance program, including Binding Corporate Rules.
By education, I am an attorney at law and privacy professional. I have been an active member, board member and chair of various privacy and industry associations and working groups, such as IPPC, IAPP, CIPL, VUD, EPOF.