Attorney at law
– Status: Owner and managing director of Rickert Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH (i.e. law firm) in Bonn, Germany, a firm with 15 staff specializing in legal questions relevant in the digital age.
– Member since : June 2016
– Languages: German and English
– Geographic coverage: Based in Germany, serving globally.
– My clients are: Internet Service Providers, Registries, Registrars, Software developers, IT-Security vendors, Old and new economy companies, an Internet Industry Association.
– What I do: I advise companies on legal issues they are facing in the digital environment. My work ranges from drafting and negotiating contracts, working on data protection issues, outsourced abuse management, responding to law enforcement requests, advising on IT security policies, advising on action required responding to IT security breaches, domain name law and online brand protection to liaising with public authorities and other relevant bodies. I regularly deliver presentations at national and international events.
– How it helps: My clients appreciate that I have been working on a wide range of projects over the years and that I can bridge the gap between the technical experts, operational staff and management. I have managed multiple international projects in the area concerned and help clients to operationalize the advice I am giving.
– My background: I am owner and managing director of Rickert Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft, Bonn, Germany, a law firm specializing in IT law (www.rickert.net) with 15 staff, since 2002, specializing in contract law, cyber security, data protection law, IP law, online brand protection. Additionally, I have been working with eco Association of the Internet Industry e.V. in various roles for more than 15 years. eco is an association with ca.1000 members from 60+ countries, see www.eco.de). I regularly represented the association at the national and international level cyber security issues. I provided training to relevant stakeholders including ISPs and law enforcement. Additionally, I was part of the management team for eco’s Internet Beschwerdestelle, a hotline taking reports from the public about illegal and harmful material (www.eco.de, www.internet-beschwerdestelle.de). From 2002 to 2005, I was President of the INHOPE Association (www.inhope.org), the international representative organisation of Internet hotlines which take complaints about illegal and harmful content. Today, I chair the eco Names & Numbers Forum, which is s division of the association that deals with topics surrounding domain names, the DNS and security aspects thereof, e.g. DNSSEC. From 2011 to 2015, I was member of ICANN’s GNSO Council.